Monday, December 2, 2013

The truth is....

The truth is, we see WAY too much of each other.  We see pictures of your breakfast, lunch, and dinner.  You see my kids latest accomplishment, even when it is as menial as rolling over.  You see what I pinned to make for dinner.  You posted the lasted pinterest win or failure.  The truth is, 20 years ago, we had no stinking idea what took place behind someone else's closed doors, and for the most part we didn't care.  The truth is, what we see of each other on these screens.....it's not the truth.  It's like reality tv.  You see little snippets of the daily ins and outs, but if you knew the full story, it would look so different.

I recently had a friend tell me that I looked like I had it all together.  The story facebook and instagram painted showed me as the mom who does it all, with a smile on my face, and a happy husband and kids to boot.  The truth is, well....it's kinda true.  We are happy, I smile, they smile.  Here is what I don't post pictures/videos/statuses of:

-the black crap growing in my toilet because it hasn't been cleaned in WAY too long
-the piles of laundry that are never actually put where they belong
-the picture of my baby with dog hair hanging out of her mouth, because I haven't vacuumed, and that dang dog keeps being a dang dog, and sheds  ALL.THE.TIME.
-my toddler in her pajamas EVERY.DAY.
-me loosing my cool and flipping out.  telling my 4yo I'm tired of picking up her crap. yup I said crap.  making my 2yo cry.  flipping out so ugly, that I woke them both up from nap to apologize.
-the horrible way I have disrespected my husband, you know, with that tone of voice that makes people feel about 2 inches tall
-the hair that is covering my bathroom...nope, not the dang dog this time, just me, shedding all over the bathroom
-speaking of my hair, how about how greasy it gets because I don't wash it, yup, I don't post that crap.

.....I could go on and on, but I already feel bad enough about the above mentioned offenses, and writing it out just solidifies the yuck I feel.  Rarely do we post about our ugly.  Nobody has it all together, nobody can do it all.  It might look like someone is, but I promise you, you aren't seeing it all. I'm not going to start posting pics of my nasty toilet, and turn Facebook into some sort of confessional.   I'm not writing this because I am vowing to stop posting the adorable beaming smile I can get from my 8 month old, or the fantastic melodies my 4 year old graces me with daily, or the mischievous grin my Eisley Kate delivers. Nope, I'm going to keep posting.  But don't be fooled.  I don't have it all together.  Despite the adorable appearance, things get ugly around here sometimes.  And that's the truth.

Use social media for good not evil.  I'm not sure what that looks like for you, but for me that means stopping the comparison game.  Just enjoying the adorable pics, the informational links, the sarcastic cartoons, and the entertaining videos.  That's my random thoughts for today.  Now, I'm going to go clean my bathrooms.....probably not, but just know, I had good intentions:)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

When living in Charlotte, NC I attended Elevation Church. I've continued to listen to their weekly podcasts and this is one of my favorite quotes by Pastor Steven Furtick:

"One reason we struggle w/ insecurity: we're comparing our behind the scenes to everyone else's highlight reel."

How true, how very, very true! Realizing our identity in Christ allows you to take joy in every other person's 'highlight reel' without sadness/envy. -JennyVinzant

Jenna Grover said...

How refreshing and so true! Thanks for making me feel like I'm not alone with those unclean toilets, unvaccummed floors, and flip out sessions that involve the word crap:)

Stephanie said...

I LOVE this Katie, I'm not alone with unclean toilets and piles of laundry that need put away. Flip out sessions happen for me too and I've only got one little girl! Thanks for your refreshing honesty :)